Fordingbridge is a town and civil parish on the River Avon in the New Forest District with a population of 5,700. The Great Bridge was built in the medieval times and is upstream from the ford, hence creating the town’s present name. The bridge, with its seven graceful arches, can be seen easily from the town’s large riverside park. The banks of the Avon are also home to a statue of the controversial painter, Augustus John, which stands near the Great Bridge. Visiting King’s Yard you will discover The Fordingbridge Museum which displays local history exhibits. Not far from the High Street, the parish church of St Mary was built in 1150 and still has some typical Norman characteristics.
More About Fordingbridge, Hampshire:
- Paul Kidby, best known for his artwork featured in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series of books, lives and works in Fordingbridge.
- The town is home to Fordingbridge Turks FC (established circa 1868) which is one of the 50 oldest football clubs in England.
- Breamore – Breamore House overlooks the Avon Valley on the edge of the New Forest. Completed in 1583, the house looks today much as it would have done to its original owners. There are a wide variety of paintings as well as tapestries and 17th Century needlework on show.
- Cranborne – Cranborne dates from Saxon times and is situated on chalk downland called Cranborne Chase. There are a number of sites to visit including The Cranborne Manor Garden Centre, The Old Potting Shed tearoom and the beautiful Manor Gardens.
- Ringwood – Ringwood has a history which dates back to Anglo-Saxon times and has held a weekly market since the Middle Ages. Speedway takes place at Matchams Park, hosting the Ringwood Turfs. Ringwood is also home to a very successful Sailing Club, called the Spinnaker Club, situated about 1 mile North of the town centre.
Set in the picturesque village of Fordingbridge, Allenbrook is a residential nursing home that specialises in long-term care for the elderly, mainly those suffering with physical or mental difficulties. Our team of experienced staff provide professional care support to residents 24 hours a day, and focus on delivering personalised care plans to each individual resident.
One of the most highly regarded care homes in Hampshire, Allenbrook offers a wide variety of different care services to help residents maintain their independence whilst enjoying a healthy and active lifestyle.